About Me

My photo
I'm Carole, living in London, happily married and mum to two amazing boys.I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer in April 2010. Surgery took place in November 2010 and I now have a permanent colostomy...Spinal mets were then diagnosed in October 2011...In January 2012 I was told of further spread to the hip area (multiple lesions)..My life expectancy is now 6-9 months. Walk alongside me on the last part of my experience with this..

Monday 17 May 2010

Less pain, more achieved today :-)

Today is Monday.....beginning of new week and so far a better start :-)

The pain wasn't too bad today and although I felt tired, I wasn't as exhausted as I'd been for a few days last week. Took Nurofen first thing in the morning then didn't need to take more until 10pm so that's a definite improvement.

Mum and Dad came over this afternoon to look after Dj when he finished school so that I could lie down and rest for a while. That helped alot and although I always feel 'fuzzy headed' after sleeping during the day, I think I felt better afterwards.
Mum made Dj his favourite 'meat pie' for his dinner so he's a happy bunny tonight - and best of all, there's still some left for tomorrow.

I sorted out some bits and pieces in the bedroom this morning - stuff I've been meaning to take over to the charity shop for some time now. I'm attempting to create some order so that when the boys decorate Dj's room for him (whilst he's away on his school trip) some stuff can be moved out of his small space and into our room.

I also want to sort out our room so that when I come out of hospital, I'll have somewhere to relax and recover in that isn't full of junk !

Was reading my booklet tonight 'Colostomy and recovering from the Op' and it tells me that after the operation I will not be able to do even simple things at first....such as 'NOT to lift a kettle'....'NOT to do ironing'....'NOT to attempt to hoover'.... It seems that all I'm supposed to do is rest and get up every couple of hours to move around, try to eat small meals then go back to rest again.
I'll feel a bit useless I suppose - but the good point of all that is, if I follow their rules then the recovery period should be faster than if I attempt to 'do' stuff.

Whenever I get a good day now I shall try to get as much organised as possible before the Radio/Chemo treatment (in-case that wipes me out - although it may not because not everyone reacts the same way apparently) and then catch up with what I can before the actual op...if I organise things then I'll feel I'm coping.
BUT if I'm tired I'll do what I've been doing recently - go to bed and sleep for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment