About Me

My photo
I'm Carole, living in London, happily married and mum to two amazing boys.I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer in April 2010. Surgery took place in November 2010 and I now have a permanent colostomy...Spinal mets were then diagnosed in October 2011...In January 2012 I was told of further spread to the hip area (multiple lesions)..My life expectancy is now 6-9 months. Walk alongside me on the last part of my experience with this..

Tuesday 11 May 2010

Oncology Team @ St T'

Went off to bed last night about 1am and felt quite 'normal' - then woke at 4.15am in tons of pain so had to get up and take painkillers. Think I'd had a fairly disturbed night before I finally woke up properly as I'd been having this weird dream about this mad looking bloke stabbing me in the back repeatedly!! (obviously, the pain was there whilst I was asleep and I'd then incorporated it into my dream)....

Had a rushing around morning today....firstly had to take Dj to school then get to the Secondary school by 9.30am to (finally) meet with the SENCO. Went fine and now waiting on her getting back to me with a few suggestions for when Dj can visit and spend a morning with them to help settle him.
He will also have an official induction day sometime in July but SENCO felt an additional session would be useful to put his mind at rest about the changes ahead.

After that had to dash off to get to St T Oncology department for 11.00am. Met Jacqui at Clapham Common station as she'd finally decided it would be good to get her foot x-rayed (At LAST eh Jac :-))...)
I'm suspicious that really she only got it done today so that, once again, she could waste another few hours of her life sitting with me in all these endless appointments. She also force-fed me M&S crisps and chocolate biscuits whilst we waited (and waited and waited, as the appointment over-ran by almost 2 hours) - thanks Jac, you can come again next time :-)

Finally got called, had weight and height done (8.2lbs now so have put on 2lbs this week - and I'm still 5'3, so not shrunk or grown) then met the Oncology team, very nice man and a young student (who looked about 13 yrs old - which obviously means I really AM getting old), who talked through the treatment plan with me and really just confirmed what Lynne had told me yesterday.
5 weeks of Radiotherapy/Chemotherapy combined followed by 6 weeks when they will finally leave me completely alone, then surgery after that.
He confirmed that it is OK for me to have the Chemo treatment via tablet form, probably two tablets twice a day - so am happy about that
He also confirmed that the last few weeks of the Radiotherapy will probably be the worst; tiredness, soreness, sickness, upset stomach, maybe some bleeding, nausea, appetite loss/weight loss, plus soreness (possibly peeling) in the mouth/feet/hands - sounds just delightful eh :-)

He also thinks that I should NOT lose my hair with this particular Chemotherapy BUT everyone's different so although reasonably sure, he can't absolutely guarantee it - still it's far better than 'Yep, definitely you'll be bald by the end of this'

Rang Dad and said don't come over as I'm now on my way home just after 1pm (he'd planned to come over in case I was delayed so that Dj had someone here with him after school).
Mum went to see Betty today so I'll find out later how she's doing. Hopefully she's starting to feel a little better now - am sure Mum will cheer her up anyway.

Now waiting for St T to send me an appointment during which I will be re-scanned, get tatooed (so they can line up the Radiotherapy machine in the right place each time) and prepared to start the 5 week course of treatment. Doctor says this will all now be 'very soon'.

Now after updating this, I shall go off and decide what to cook for dinner tonight. As I've managed to put on a whole 2lbs (!!) I need to keep it (for now) and that means eating even if I really don't want to. Plus the painkillers work far better when I've managed to eat first.

Am bored with the whole cooking/eating/deciding thing really - I want to live in a 5* hotel with room service and my own personal Chef who just cooks up nice, appetising, fattening things every day - with no effort on my part at all...
Mental note; Must remember to do the lottery tomorrow - just in case :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment