About Me

My photo
I'm Carole, living in London, happily married and mum to two amazing boys.I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer in April 2010. Surgery took place in November 2010 and I now have a permanent colostomy...Spinal mets were then diagnosed in October 2011...In January 2012 I was told of further spread to the hip area (multiple lesions)..My life expectancy is now 6-9 months. Walk alongside me on the last part of my experience with this..

Monday 9 August 2010

My Sister Went Home :-(

As you know my lovely sister, Sarah, was here for the past two and a half weeks. It was really lovely to see her and be able to spend some proper time discussing various things.
Phone calls aren't the same, neither is Skype..... (my Skype has a rubbish connection and kept jamming but will be having another go now we've got the replacement router) so spending proper time with her was a real treat :-)
Thanks Sis - for everything xxxx

So now for an update I suppose - I'm still feeling well in myself. No pain to talk about in the tumour site, just the weird dodgy ache on the left side of my chest area. Today it's moved round to the back just under the shoulder blades which makes me think it can't be anything too much to worry about if it's moving around.
I have made an appointment with the GP for after the scans on Tuesday and I'll mention it then and see what they think. Ideally I'd like to be rescanned in that area - just in-case!
I am also discussing with my GP my options with regard to arranging a 2nd opinion - at a hospital not connected to either of the ones I've been under so far.

On Tuesday morning I have my CT scan @ 7.15am and MRI scan @ 8.00am - these will be used to decide on surgery options. I won't get any idea of results until the 25th August so am just keeping my fingers crossed that there's been a huge improvement in tumour size since April - because that means I've then got some extra time on my side.

Rab is of the opinion that we must question everything they say, we must explore all options and not allow myself to be pushed into any decision that doesn't feel right.... Initially I was worried about discussing my concerns with him incase he felt that I was saying 'I give up, I don't want surgery therefore I just give up' - which of course is NOT the case. I haven't given up in any way, shape or form but I have to know the extensive surgery is absolutely right, for me.
He is 100% behind me and is of the opinion that all options must be looked into before any decisions are set in stone.

I had a phone chat on Sunday with a lady in London that I was put into touch with by Dr K. She also has rectal cancer and gave me some really good tips, both about health and also about options.
It helps to talk to someone who's on the same page as me ideas wise and also who is ahead of me treatment wise. I'm looking forward to being able to meet up with her in the near future.

Went off with Dj today and picked up the last bits for his school uniform - PE kit & bag, more trousers - another £45 lighter after those few bits. Mostly done now though apart from his maths set and sorting out his pens/pencils etc. He has sooo much stationary here that he could probably fill pencil cases for every kid in his class!!

Shoes and trainers will be sorted a bit nearer the time, I'm always reluctant to buy them too far ahead because sometimes feet seem to grow an inch during the last week of the holidays.
I'll get Dj to pose for a picture in his new school uniform soon and add it onto the blog. He looks really grown up and I wonder exactly where the last (almost) 11 years have gone.

Anyway, off to do bits and pieces now and try not to think about scans tomorrow :-) Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and for keeping fingers, toes and everything else crossed for me. As I've said often enough, so much now depends on tomorrow! x

4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you and Auntie Sarah again last week. Phoebe and I have everything crossed for tomorrow for you.

    Love you massively huge amounts. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lou, was a lovely lunch eh.... Would definitely go there again.

    Thank you to both u and Pheobe - all positive stuff helps xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was lovely to see you too sis. And looking so well which was a relief. However, just because you look great and feel like you have more energy, take all the help you can get. I can't remember how many times I told you to "sit down"! Lovely to be home in sunny Greece but miss you already:( love as always, see you again soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully won't be too long til I'm sitting in sunny Greece relaxing with you Sis, just got to sort out this damn cancer first eh :-)
    As soon as I'm able, I'll be there.

    As for 'sit down' - I spent months laying down unable to do anything without being in complete agony so it's nice to be able to just get on with things again for now. I'm making the most of it but yes, I'll try to delegate more :-)

    ReplyDelete