About Me

My photo
I'm Carole, living in London, happily married and mum to two amazing boys.I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer in April 2010. Surgery took place in November 2010 and I now have a permanent colostomy...Spinal mets were then diagnosed in October 2011...In January 2012 I was told of further spread to the hip area (multiple lesions)..My life expectancy is now 6-9 months. Walk alongside me on the last part of my experience with this..

Thursday 13 January 2011

Floods and turmoil......

For the past few days I have been watching the developments in Australia with their intense floods and turmoil that the people have been thrown into...so sad - some people have lost their lives, others have lost literally everything they owned and will have to start all over again :-(

In Brazil, the current death toll due to flash floods and mudslides now stands at over 350 (*updated 10pm GMT - now in excess of 400) and they (still) expect this figure to rise dramatically over the next day or so. Again, people have lost everything and will have to start from scratch again :-(

Also Sri Lanka have suffered some extreme flash floods and the death toll there currently stands at around 250, but is fully expected to rise even further. A huge amount of people are now left with nothing except the clothing on their backs and tens of thousands are displaced and without basics like food and clean water :-(

Sometimes we think about cancer, the effects and after effects and it becomes consuming, but around the world - around all of us - there are other disasters taking place on a daily basis.
So today I'm not thinking about cancer I'm thinking about all the things that people have to deal with in Australia, Brazil and Sri Lanka and other less publicised places.

A year ago Haiti suffered the terrible earthquake that took close to a quarter of a million lives and people there are now still living amongst the rubble that fell to the ground at the time of the quake..One year on and they are still battling a Cholera outbreak, disgusting living conditions and disease/illness/shortage of food and shelter.

I sincerely hope that all these people who have experienced natural disaster can find a way to rebuild their lives - as soon as possible

4 comments:

  1. One of the funds we can donate to at church is for humanitarian aid. This money across a world wide church accumulates into millions of dollars annually. Our church leaders then decide how best to help during disasters across the globe. Basic food stuffs, shelter, first aid, emergency essentials. We can also donate our time in a few church owned facilities helping to prepare and package some of these supplies. Thanks for reminding me to take a closer look at my participation in this program. There is certainly a need right now to do more. Still thinking of others beyond yourself aren't you, Carole? I admire that in you. You're so easy to love. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carole, Thank you for leaving me such a kind comment yesterday on my blog. I'm happy to discover yours! You are so right to remind us about all this other stuff going on in the world. I know sometimes I get too caught up in cancer and lose focus of other important things. Thanks for this timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    You're pretty great yourself actually :-)

    I think it's important that despite what we have going on, we never lose sight of the pain and suffering that others go through - not just with cancer, but with natural disasters, accidents, loss in general...
    I try to switch off to all the terrible things going on in the world sometimes, but truthfully I can't do it. Every day something on the News reminds me that despite the cancer I am WAY better off than others at times.

    Your Church aid programme sounds excellent. I have friends here who stopped attending their Church but at Christmas time there was always a huge food parcel delivered to them along with a visit from the current Elders.

    Although I don't 'do' religion I believe strongly in compassion, empathy, assistance and I truly want the best for all of humanity.
    When we stop caring about others it becomes impossible to care much about yourself - that's what I believe.

    Also, thank you Steve for your very generous donation.
    They appreciate every single pound (or dollar) :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    I intend to do a post later today to link to your blog and great post about 'Friendships'. Lovely post and well worth reading.

    I think it's easy for us to allow cancer to enter every moment of our day - but sometimes it's good to resist that and think about other things. So many things in life make me sad and also make me realise that sometimes I'm so much better off than others.

    Looking forward to reading more from you Nancy.

    Much luv xxx

    ReplyDelete