About Me

My photo
I'm Carole, living in London, happily married and mum to two amazing boys.I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer in April 2010. Surgery took place in November 2010 and I now have a permanent colostomy...Spinal mets were then diagnosed in October 2011...In January 2012 I was told of further spread to the hip area (multiple lesions)..My life expectancy is now 6-9 months. Walk alongside me on the last part of my experience with this..

Thursday 7 April 2011

Blog worth noting..........Mums That Work.com

Recently I was asked to write a 'Guest post' on a blog to help to raise awareness of Bowel Cancer.

I agreed to do this because the more people that know it CAN happen if you are under the screening age (currently 60 yrs of age in England/Wales and 50 in Scotland) the better.
Reminder: April is 'Beating Bowel Cancer' month here in the UK.....If you have symptoms it doesn't automatically mean you have cancer but any symptoms do need checking by your GP.
Don't be fobbed off - persist if you're not happy with the diagnosis initially.
Unfortunately many GP's are still spinning the 'You're too young' line :-(

The blog that I wrote my post on is here http://mumsthatwork.wordpress.com/2011/03/

Loopy (Lisa) has also written a piece on this same site...you can find Lisa's blog in my blog list on the left 'Rectal Cancer - How to Kick It's Sorry Ass!'....

Also Paula has kindly commented on an article about the 'Look Good, Feel Good' workshop that she attended last year. Paula's blog is also in my blog list entitled 'Hodgkins Lymphoma'

Gillian the lady who has set up 'mums that work' is trying to raise awareness of all types of cancer, illness, disability and all issues that can affect us including domestic violence, being a carer and numerous other subjects. Her blog makes interesting reading.

If you have a story to tell that may help others - doesn't have to be about cancer - then contact Gillian via her blog to discuss. You can also contact Gillian via Twitter if you prefer.


6 comments:

  1. Blimey, that was quick!!

    I know from old that when you're determined to get something done, nothing much stands in your way and you keep slugging away until you achieve whatever it is you're aiming for, but this is fast work even for you! From the front page of this morning's Daily Telegraph:

    "Millions of people are to be allowed to take a simple test that could significantly lower their risk of developing bowel cancer. . . The UK National Screening Committee has decided to recommend the procedure (flexible sigmoidoscopy - the test to check for and remove any polyps) for all those aged between 55 and 64.

    Figures suggest this one-off test could reduce incidence rates by 33 percent and death rates by 43 percent. . .

    At present, people aged 60 to 69 can send off stool samples for bowel cancer testing in what is known as the faecal occult blood test. This programme will be extended to include those up to the age of 74."

    Result, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! That's a step in the right direction :-)

    Any reduction in death rates is great but the suggested figure of 43% is even higher than I expected.
    Brilliant - thanks for letting me know about the article hun xx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab idea...anything I can do to help!
    Looks like your actions have alreadt started some good stuff going!
    Hugs
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol,

    You have a rare cancer and you are also a carer and a mum, if you'd like to do a guest blog contact Gillian with your idea and she'll let you know if it's something she's interested in :-)

    Are you feeling any better yet? I'll pop over to your place in a bit xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous guest blog on the mums that work site Carole. Beautifully written. I've no doubt it will help someone out there who is worried about symptoms, and also will have raised awareness amongst all the other readers - myself included.
    Well done bonny lass
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shents (blushing now - lol) ....

    I just want people to listen and know that it's probably nothing, 9 times of out 10 it's going to be nothing, but sometimes it's something that needs sorting.. :-(

    Wishing it away just doesn't work - therefore knowing your symptoms and hassling the GP is the way forward.

    Get anyone you know to memorise the symptoms

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete